Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Life in the Mountain Valley

Hi folks.

So I feel as though I've lived here long enough to have a good working understanding of the people, the places, the attractions, the detractions and the overall vibe of life as a Vail resident. The only aspect of life out here that I do not fully grasp yet is the overall winter weather season. I know what winters are, Michigan will do that to a person, but weather, that is always something new depending on setting. I have spent some time out here in the Rockies during the winter, I know what a ridiculous amount of snow can mean but an entire life of it? I currently enjoy walking everywhere I go, can I say the same thing when 300 inches have fallen in a matter of months?

Small changes like that affect the things you enjoy.


The library is a gem here in Vail. I spend at least an hour at it 5 days a week. If I haven't made time for the library during my day it usually means mountain days have tired me out too much. I fear that the library will be a lesser place when Vail is in full swing and Scandanavian elitists are huddled by the fire in their fur coats discussing the pratfalls of competing nose wipes for their kids. For now its relatively deserted, aside from the busy computer section at which I currently sit. I found the most amazing Gonzo book on display last week. It is hardcover and at least a foot tall and one foot wide, so double that when opened. It has great widespread pictures, quotes, poems and just overall inspirational material.

Most of the books I have checked out from the library have been about music theory and guitar playing. I found a good deal on a nice yamaha and have been strumming my way through the dark sleepy nights out here.

For all of you interested back home, friends have been easy to come by. There is always a friendly face around the corner that I can share a laugh with. In the odd case that there is no one around the ambiguous mountain air and vibe get me through.

I'm sorry if I haven't checked in as frequent as maybe some of you expected/wanted. Or maybe I am reporting back just enough or perhaps too much. I have no gauge of this other than my overall desire to confine myself to the glowing pixels of a computer screen. In other words I'm trying to need the computer as little as possible so I apologize if I've been a little distant. I don't really enjoy talking on the phone to anyone unless I get involved in small talk enough to forget that I am on the phone.

Love you all, take care.
Byron, or fish as my nametag says on the mountain.

No comments: